"Bringing the mercy of Jesus to the World"
Welcome to St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. We are a Christian community that is FOCUSED on Christ, CENTERED in prayer and worship, and COMMITTED to participating in God’s mission of reconciliation in the world.
As a community, we take seriously our call to be the body of Christ. We understand ourselves to belong to one another as we belong together to Christ. We accept our responsibility to care for one another, to encourage one another, and to challenge one another.
As a community focused on Christ...
...we believe that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ changed everything, everywhere, for always. In Jesus Christ, God has broken into the usual way of things and brings transformation by the Holy Spirit. We seek to avail ourselves of that transformation and to conform our lives to God’s image. To foster that transformation we offer:
- Christian Education for All Ages
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Small Groups & Bible Studies
- Movie and Book Discussion Groups
- Youth Groups
- EfM (Education for Ministry)
As a community centered in...
...prayer and worship, we seek to immerse our lives in the life of God. In constructing our church, we turned the first spade of dirt where the altar was to be. That fact reflects the centrality of worship at St. Barnabas. Our worship is prayerful and liturgical according to the forms of the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church. Our worship style has been described as “relaxed high-church.” To foster prayer and worship we offer:
- Sunday Eucharist
- Contemplative Prayer (Julian Meeting)– 2nd Sunday of the month, 7:00 PM
- Taizé – 3rd Friday of the month, 7:30 PM
- Healing Prayer – every Sunday during Communion
- Intercessory Prayer Team
- Spiritual Direction
As a community committed to participating in God's mission of reconciliation in the world, we desire to bear witness to the good news of God’s redeeming love in Christ Jesus. We desire to demonstrate that love by serving others. We do this by:
- Bearing witness to Christ and serving others in our daily lives
- Hosting the homeless with PADS (Public Action to Deliver Shelter)
- Partnering with our sister parish, St. Barnaba, Maban in the Diocese of Renk, South Sudan
- This year, our 10th Annual Concert to support the Health Clinic in the South Sudan
- Donating to and serving local community ministries
- ESSE (Ecumentical Support Services for the Elderly)
- Glen Ellyn Food Pantry
- Walk-in Ministries
- Providing and Serving Dinner at St. Leonard's Ministries
- Mission Trips
- Supporting Missionaries