General Policy for Photographers
- Photographers must discuss plans with the Rector at least one half hour before a liturgy.
- Photography during services and special events should be limited and discreet. There should be only one professional photographer.
- Photographers should be aware of the solemnity of services and be careful not to take photos or move in a way that distracts participants in the congregation.
- No photos may be taken during The Eucharistic Prayer.
- Photographers are never allowed in the sanctuary or the area between the pews and the sanctuary.
- Parishioners should not leave their pews during services, and should only take photos from their pews.
- No tripods should be set up anywhere but behind the pews.
- Videos may be filmed from one stationary position in the church behind the congregation.
- No flash photography is permitted except during wedding processions and recessions. Because St. Barnabas is not brightly lit, photographers should choose their settings accordingly.
- Photographers should not position themselves in the center aisle.
- During a baptism, photographers should come no closer than four feet from the font and should not block the view of any parishioner.
- Photography sessions after a ceremony should be limited to 45 minutes.
- Photographers who disregard these guidelines will be barred from any future engagements at St. Barnabas.
Use of Photography Policy
Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to define the use of photographs and other recorded media at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
General group or crowd photographs: St. Barnabas reserves the right to take photographs, audio, or video recordings at worship services or any other church-related activities in which individuals are not prominently featured and no identifying information is presented, and to use any of these photos or recordings for fellowship or promotional purposes in media such as, but not limited to, brochures and flyers, the church website, and online photo galleries, without seeking or requiring the consent of each person represented.
- In addition to any event or gathering taking place on church property, church-related activities also include gatherings at other locations such as parks, sporting events, mission sites, etc.
- Any individual who objects to potentially being photographed as part of a St. Barnabas’ activity should notify a member of the clergy, an usher or event coordinator, or the photographer immediately upon arrival.
- Any individual who sees himself/herself or a family member in a group photo online and would like it removed may follow the photo removal procedure given below.
Adult individual or small group photographs: When adult individuals or a small group of individuals are photographed, whether posed or candid, each person will be asked for either written or verbal consent before any use of the photographs is made.
- Verbal consent will be deemed sufficient to use an adult individual or small group photo that contains no identifying information. Written consent will be obtained for any photos that contain identifying information.
Photographing minors: When children under the age of 18 are photographed (except as part of a general group or crowd photo as outlined above), the consent of at least one parent will be obtained before their photo will be used in any way. (Photo Release Form for Minors) In addition, the following guidelines will be enforced:
- Under no circumstances will any identifying information (first or last name, family members, email addresses, school names, etc.) of anyone under 18 years of age be included in or associated with any photographs or videos displayed, posted or published in any way.
- All registration forms for events, activities, or programs, such as Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, youth group, etc. will contain a reference to this policy, a permission request to allow the participant to be photographed in accordance with the policy, and a clear method to allow the signing parent or guardian to “opt-out” of inclusion in any photographs, audio, or video recordings. Note that opting-out via an activity sign-up form will apply only to that activity, not as a “blanket” request (see “Opting-out” below). For annual programs, a new photography release form will be requested every year.
- Opting-out: Parents/guardians who do not wish for their child’s photo, audio recording, or video to be potentially posted online or otherwise displayed, regardless of the context, should send a written note or email to the church office and St. Barnabas will make every effort to exclude the indicated minor from any individual or small group photography. Please note that children may still be included in general group or crowd photos without identifying information; however, you may always request that any photo be removed from display.
Requesting removal of a photograph or video: Any individual who appears in a photo/video (or whose minor children appear in a photo/video) that has been posted online may request that it be removed for any reason, even if prior permission had been granted, by sending a written note or email to the church office. Please indicate the person or persons involved and the photo or video in question, and it will be promptly removed from the website or other display where it is found.
Change notice: St. Barnabas may change the content of this policy without notice, and it is recommended to review this and other church policies periodically. Current copies of this policy may be obtained at the church office.